01 December 2010

My Maiden Volunteer Encounter

It was a partly cloudy day on 29th August 2010 as I excitedly made my way to the City Square Mall. I did not know what to expect as this was my first “real” volunteering position. It was hardly what I imagined a volunteer would do but I was a volunteer model for the modeling segment of the World Breastfeeding Week event that day!

Looking around at the breastfeeding mothers gathered in front of the stage, I was reminded of the special feelings I had when I was nursing my now 4 year old boy and 2-1/2 year old girl.

To me it was a miracle that I even breastfed at all. Till today, my friends just cannot never imagine that I could do it… maybe it was the image they had of me. But breastfed I did with the help of BMSG!

I went for antenatal classes before my first child arrived, just like most parents would, but it did not in any way prepare me for the actual experience at all! When finally I had my baby in my arms, I simply could not grasp why something which is meant to be so natural could be so difficult for me.

Fortunately for me, I had met a BMSG volunteer by chance during my pregnancy and we exchanged numbers. It was this lady who gave me the encouragement and push at the point when I was ready to give up.  I will never forget the panic I must have given her when I called her, close to midnight, from the hospital in tears!

One year after weaning my second child and missing the special time we shared, I remembered this volunteer who had helped me so much four years earlier. I felt bad that I had forgotten her name but she would forever by an angel to me. The help she had rendered to me was the reason I decided to volunteer with BMSG. At the lowest point in my breastfeeding journey, her help and support was what kept me going for years and now I just want to help other mothers.
And it all began….

With an email to BMSG. Angeline replied my queries about volunteering most efficiently. It happened that the World Breastfeeding Week was coming up the next week! Wow, I was happy to be immediately involved and went down to the BMSG office two days before the actual event to help pack the goodie bags to be distributed during the event.

Angeline and Lena made me feel at home immediately and I felt completely involved in the whole event even though I just joined them at the end stage of all the preparations. Due to the shortage of volunteers, Angeline and Lena suggested perhaps I could help model some nursing and breastfeeding clothes during the mass breastfeeding event.
On the actual day, I went down to the venue in excitement. Backstage, other volunteers were happily preparing for the catwalk and chatting about what was happening outside. Before we knew it the event started and it was a fun experience walking the stage with a fake belly for the maternity wear.

From my viewpoint, I felt that the event was a success with more than 120 moms participating in the mass breastfeeding! Not to mention the pregnant mommies who had registered for a free goodie bag. It was indeed an experience volunteering because I realized how many volunteers are required to ensure an event like this runs smoothly and yet, it was probably the hardest thing to organize… volunteers!

Angeline, Lena and the other regular volunteers welcomed me warmly and I hope to be able to offer more help on a regular basis.